Monday, March 18, 2013

Teamwork and Service Work

Today our group arrived at the YWCA to help spread the word about the issue of domestic violence, while cleaning the kitchen and painting some furniture along the way. Part of this trip included performing a skit for the residents and facilitating a discussion about healthy and unhealthy relationships.

I am a control freak. I like schedules. I like to know what we will be doing, when we will be doing it, and what role everyone will be playing. Ask me to make a play in 2 hours and I will demand perfection and be disappointed when I don't receive it. Well today my ASB group did the impossible, they taught me how to calm my anxious and controlling nerves and create something truly meaningful as a team.

We all had our own ideas about what we wanted to portray in the skits. Some people had general instances they wanted to incorporate, and others had a specific format they thought we should follow. I sat back and held in the urge to dictate everything, and thank goodness I did because the ideas my group members had were fantastic. All of these people come from so many different backgrounds with so many different experiences, and due in part to that, they were able to create a skit on an unhealthy relationship which contained as much information, emotion, and heart as I could imagine.

And boy did the residents respond! I wasn't expecting much of a turn out but I was so proud of our work and grateful that we could share our take on the situation with others who had lived through similar experiences. They were interested in a conversation with us and soon we were all sharing our views and expressing the urgent need to have this issue solved.

I love the work that we created today and I have found inspiration in the YWCA residents and my fellow teammates.


P.S. Watch the video, it's attached as a Facebook link below. And look out for yours truly as the narrator!

No comments: