Monday, March 18, 2013

About Me: Mary Cushman

My name is Mary Cushman and I am a junior Family Science major. I am super excited to be taking part of my first alternative break trip! I am eager to learn more about the issue of Domestic Violence and ways in which I can make a difference! It is a very important issue and I think I will get a lot out of our time in Knoxville.

I decided to do an alternative break because I enjoy doing service projects but I don't do enough. I also have a passion for issues such as Domestic Violence and believe it is an issue that is too often covered up and silenced. Hopefully during and after this trip we/I can work to reduce the stigma that victims often feel and help spread awareness. I can't wait to see what this week has to offer!

A little more info about me... I am from Rochester NY and decided to come to Maryland to play volleyball. I am also a huge fan of hockey and soccer. I am the youngest of 4 and am extremely close to my family. I am obsessed with country music- Carrie Underwood in particular :) I love being outside and exploring and cant wait for the warm weather in Tennessee! I enjoy learning about people and making new relationships and I am sure I will do both of those during our trip!


No comments: