Saturday, March 23, 2013

"Our friendships will be the start of a movement!"

Today marked the end of a very eye-opening, emotional, at times disturbing, but most of all an extremely positive trip, filled with new insights, open discussions, deep reflections, and most importantly, new bonds and friendships that will last a very long time.

Our nine-hour drive back from Knoxville was notably different from the one down just seven days ago. We were now best friends, having witnessed and experienced a lot together, and for many of us, opened up about our own personal experiences.  This may sound biased, but I don't think any other group has formed the level of closeness that we have within this week.

To be honest, I knew we would get along the very first day. Each of us brought our own unique perspectives, personalities, quirks, and stories into one common passion and this mix just blended so well! The amount of trust and support we had for each other was personally inspiring for me, and I hope to bring everything I've learned from this experience into every new relationship I form from here.

As we'd discussed, domestic violence is a serious issue that is not talked about enough because it is fraught with unnecessary stigmas and misleading information, leaving many voices unheard.  On this trip, I met people and heard stories from a variety of backgrounds, and I cannot applaud enough the strength and courage in the people I had the honor to meet. It is this strength that has inspired me to be an advocate and do everything I can in my ability to Break The Silence.

I honestly cannot ask for a better group of people to fight this injustice with; I am so glad I met you all.  Here's to much much more of chalking, flyering, frank discussions, lunches and dinners, thrift-shopping, peanut-butter eating, Zumba-ing (yes, I'll do it this time), sleepovers and movie nights! Oh, and we still need to go to a concert together!

Love you all <3

No comments: